- Official Leics County Council page for the library
Click on the link for contact details, opening hours and access to on-line services.
- Sapcote Library could be saved from closure thanks to a community group.
- The library was at risk after the county council announced it would scrap its funding in June, but the Sapcote Community Library has stepped in and proposed to takeover the management of the site.
- Mervin Wallace, marketing co-ordinator of the group, said: "I am pleased to announce the future of the village library is now a little more secure.
- "At a recent meeting a new committee was formed to take forward the proposal to run it with volunteers."
- He called on residents to offer their time to help with the running of the library.
- He said: "It's a challenge, but we can make this an opportunity to pull together and create an asset that will add even more value to everyone in Sapcote.
- "But we do need a lot of support and help to secure the future for our library to provide the service in a different way from next summer."
- A spokesman for Leicestershire County Council confirmed the running of the library will be transferred in the summer under the current proposals.
- Mr Wallace added: "We will spend the winter months looking at ways to protect and improve this important village resource. And we hope we will be able to publicise some of the plans we are planning for the future soon.
- "Our village is changing rapidly and we see that the role of the library needs to change to meet new challenges.
- "We see this as a great opportunity to not only protect this valuable service, but to provide a whole new range of services and activities within a new community resources centre."
- Sapcote Parish Council welcomed the news. Chairwoman Anna Davies said: "We are delighted that enough members of community of have come together to save the library and I am pleased that the parish council has been able to play its part in helping bring this to fruition and hopefully, our continued support will help sustain the library for many years to come.
- "It is gratifying to know that the village has so many community minded people who are willing to give up their time to save this valuable service"